Author: K.C. Lannon
Narrator: Fran Burgoyne
Length: 9 hours 50 minutes
Publisher: K.C. Lannon
Released: Jan. 6, 2021
Genre: Fantasy; Young Adult
On the island of Moon Tithe, where oceanic gods called Deep Dwellers once ruled, a lonely girl and a monstrous boy fell in love.
When spirited 10-year-old Pearl searches for magic and answers after her mother’s presumed drowning, she finds a strange boy named Hake, instead. Raised cruelly by a monster called the Old One, 11-year-old Hake possesses otherworldly powers and has the knowledge Pearl seeks. In exchange for a home, Hake agrees to show her magic. But Hake knows nothing of magic – only that Pearl’s romantic stories of the Deep Dwellers are a lie.
As the two grow into young adults together, both the mysteries they seek to unravel and their romantic feelings for each other become hopelessly entangled. However, Pearl’s father threatens to separate them if they dig too deeply into Tempest’s secrets: a hidden passage, a Deep Dweller cult, and rumors of human sacrifices.
But when the wealthy and kind Lotham family arrives on Moon Tithe, offering Pearl an escape from the secrets that haunt her, her loyalty to Hake is challenged, especially when his monstrous nature is revealed.
Tempest Cursed is a magical, loose retelling of the classic novel Wuthering Heights.
K.C. Lannon graduated from the University of South Carolina with a Bachelor of Arts in English. When she is not writing or co-authoring the Winter’s Blight book series, she tutors English, walks dogs, and dabbles in art. She enjoys cooking vegetarian meals and playing tabletop RPGs.
Fran Burgoyne is a British stage actor and voice artist, with work ranging from classics such as the deliciously awful Natasha in Chekhov’s Three Sisters, Lady Utterword in Shaw’s Heartbreak House and Mistress Quickly in Henry IV Part 2, to playing the world’s worst tour guide in modern pieces such as the ground-breaking immersive show Madhouse Re:Exit by Access All Area’s. An award-winning narrator, she can be heard reading fantasy, romance and young adult novels in all good audiobook outlets, and snippets of the action can be seen on Instagram @frantellsstories.
Q&A with Hake from Tempest Cursed
- What did you eat for breakfast?
- Foraged cockles, clams, and seaweed on the beach at dawn. Then I pretended I hadn’t eaten so that Alma, the housemaid, would give me extra eggs and bacon. Always works.
- Are you an only child? How many siblings do you have?
- It’s just me. My father, the Old One, says that my birth was unnatural. A human and a Deep Dweller had never conceived a child together before. I’m… unique.
- What is your earliest memory?
- Don’t like to think about it. But I was eleven when Pearl and her father, Mr. Earton, took me in. That’s when my life began. I want my first memory to be of Pearl’s scowling, wind-chafed face.
- What is your greatest fear?
- That one day the Old One will find me and kill me. Or worse, he’ll find Pearl.
- When and where were you happiest?
- When Pearl and I are together on the wild moorlands or by the raging sea. But I’m happy anywhere as long as we’re together.
- What is your most treasured possession?
- My sealskin cloak. I always keep it on me. It lets me change and shift into my Deep Dweller form, and I can breathe underwater and swim faster than any creature with it. It keeps me safe.
- What is it that you most dislike?
- I hate wearing shoes. But I dislike Pearl’s silly admirer, Otto Lotham, even more.
- Would you describe your childhood?
- My every waking moment was focused on just surviving. Foraging for food. Finding a dry cave to sleep in. Making myself useful to the Old One so he wouldn’t kill me. It wasn’t really a childhood.
- How much schooling have you had?
- Pearl and Alma have taught me to read and write. Pearl says I’ve gotten quite good at it. That’s all the schooling I need.
- Where did you learn most of your skills and other abilities?
- When the Old One refused to teach me, I had to teach myself how to survive. I learned what sea plants and animals I could eat. I learned how to swim and how to hunt. Now I’m learning how powerful my cloak and my magic can make me. I’ve always had to learn on my own.
Plugging you into the audio community since 2016.